• LAMA: Los Angeles Modern Auctions
• Mortise & Tenon Custom Furniture Sale
• Semiannual Sale @ DWR
• Lightology Sale
• The Huntington Fall Plant Sale
• TufenkianOutlet.com Sale
• Crate & Barrel Upholstery Sale
• Sanford Burrows Bedding Sale
• Classes @ Common Thread Studio
• Shelving Sale @ The Container Store
• Baker Furniture Sale
• FLOS Sale @ YLighting
• California Design Biennial @ PMCA
• 2010 MAK Center Architecture Tour
• Floral Design Classes @ Floral Art
• AIA Los Angeles 2010 Fall Home Tour Series
• Silver Lake Art Craft & Vintage
• AAHSA Idea House
• Echo Park Home Tour
details below the jump…
scroll down for details
THIS WEEK IN DETAIL
• LAMA: Los Angeles Modern Auctions LAMA's 50th auction since 1992! We are very proud to be offering some of the best material LAMA has ever offered, most of which has never traded hands until now. Fresh, first-time offerings include a large Ida Kohlmeyer painting, an early Bernard Buffet oil on canvas, a David Hockney "Swimming Pool" and a Lichtenstein "Living Room", both from low, rare editions. Design highlights include a Diego Giacometti table, a William "Billy" Haines couch and a fantastic selection of Architectural Pottery.
LAMA | 16145 Hart Street Van Nuys, California 91406
PREVIEW: 10/9 - 10/16: 10am - 6pm
AUCTION: 10/17: 12pm (PST)
• Mortise & Tenon Custom Furniture Sale Fall floor model clearance. Lots of great products from upholstery and wood to lighting and home deco, everything on the floor is marked down from 15% to 50% off. Many of our own locally built reclaimed lumber tables are great finds. Also we are extending 15% pricing on all custom orders.
Mortise & Tenon Custom Furniture | 446 South La Brea, Los Angeles California 90036
10/1 - 10/31
• The Huntington Fall Plant Sale For a beautiful spring garden, start planning—and planting—in the fall. You'll find lots of inspiration at The Huntington's annual Fall Plant Sale. While you're here, pick up some tips from the experts on seasonal gardening topics such as mulching, pruning, winter lawn care, and pest control. Free.
The Huntington | 1151 Oxford Road San Marino, California 91108
10/9 - 10/11: 10:30am - 4:30pm (Garden talks each day at 2:30pm)
• TufenkianOutlet.com Sale Save an additional 15% off already reduced pricing when you Call to Order! 800.928.6671
10/12 - 10/14
• Crate & Barrel Upholstery Sale 15% off stock and stock plus upholstery. 25% off custom upholstery orders.
In stores and online.
• Classes @ Common Thread Studio Come join us and learn how to sew and/or work on your own projects in a clean open studio space. RSVP
Common Thread Studio | 1011A Mission Street South Pasadena, California 91030
10/9: Improv Quilting with Alissa Haight Carlton 3pm - 6pm
• Shelving Sale @ The Container Store 25% off our entire shelving collection — from customizable modular systems to a simple, single shelf. Plus, save 25% off elfa Installation Service.
In stores and online.
Now - 10/17
• Baker Furniture Sale Baker's most inclusive sale ever, with savings for the first time on The Pagani Collection, The Andre Arbus Collection, and the latest additions to The Bill Sofield Collection, as well as Spring 2010 introductions. Additional discounts will be given on The Selected Works of Tony Duquette and select styles from The Milling Road Collection. Select styles not included.
All Baker Locations and online
9/3 - 10/12
• California Design Biennial @ PMCA The Fourth California Design Biennial highlighting the most significant and innovative designs being created in California.
Pasadena Museum of California Art | 490 East Union Street
7/18 - 10/31
• 2010 MAK Center Architecture Tour celebrating the 100th birthday of renowned architecture photographer Julius Shulman, this year's self-guided tour will feature modern residences shot over the course of his career, and give tour-goers the rare opportunity to experience the interiors of some of Los Angeles's most significant modern homes.
COMING SOON IN DETAIL
• Floral Design Classes @ Floral Art Taught by owner and designer, Jennifer McGarigle. Participants will not only gain knowledge on how to make Floral Art, but also get to take home the arrangement they create ($125 value). Advanced sign up is required and there is limited space available. Individual classes are $150. A series of three is $400 and six are $700. Please contact Floral Art at 310.392.1633 to sign up.
Floral Art | 1338 Abbot Kinney Boulevard Venice, California 90291
10/14: Bulb Bliss 6:30pm - 8pm
11/11: The Modern Wreath 6:30pm - 8pm
12/8: Holiday Entertaining on a Budget 6:30pm - 8pm
• AIA Los Angeles 2010 Fall Home Tour Series Featuring beautiful houses by Los Angeles's leading architects. You can see the homes, talk to the architects, and discover new designs for living. How the tours work: Houses are typically open from 11am - 4pm. Attendees receive a ticket, map, driving directions and information on each of the tour homes. Docents and members of the design team (schedule permitting) are available. Tickets: Non-Member: $75.00/ticket & AIA Member: $65.00/ticket.
FALL TOUR #2 OFF SUNSET: BRENTWOOD TO PALISADES 10/17: 11am - 4pm
• Silver Lake Art Craft & Vintage Vintage clothes, original art, apartment-ready potted succulents and plain old kitsch can be found along with a food truck block party. Held on the playground of the Micheltorena St. Elementary School, the market raises funds for the local
Micheltorena Elementary School | 1511 Micheltorena Street Los Angeles, California 90026
10/30 (the last Saturday of every month)
• AAHSA Idea House A 2,500-square-foot concept house designed to illustrate how technology and design can be integrated to facilitate aging in place and continued participation in the community. The house will feature design elements such as modified kitchens and bathrooms as well as technologies designed to improve older people's quality of life, while reducing health care costs, encouraging healthy behavior change and providing caregivers with support.
Los Angeles Convention Center
10/31 - 11/3
• Echo Park Home Tour 10 homes and gardens that feature lifestyles of the ecologically minded. This includes properties utilizing greywater systems, solar power, natural light and circulation as ways to reduce dependency on public utilities as well gardens that include elements of urban farming, native plants, drought-tolerant landscaping and no dig gardening. And yes, chicken coops. The tour showcases how older structures can integrate energy-saving ideas, such as, a home that uses repurposed wood and energy-efficient appliances, an environmentally friendly renovation of a 1918 bungalow, and a remodel/expansion maintaining the existing house, integrating the old and the new. Tour visitors pick up your tickets, a program and map at Williams Hall and see the tour in any order. Admission is $20 or $15 before 11/1.
Tour starts at Williams Hall in Barlow Hospital 2000 Stadium Way
11/14: 11am - 4pm
Send it to us. We publish every week: