For the first time ever, you've got two Apartment Therapy design astronauts in Italy, bringing you the biggest, sexiest furniture fair in the world (as least that's what we've heard). I landed early yesterday morning, and had not slept in two days when I took all these pics all over Milan. I used the strong cappuccinos to keep me upright.
Janel arrives in a few hours from Chicago. This morning — 9:30am — the fair begins, and by the time you read this I will already have been there for hours. Here are a few pics to get you in the mood, and the design will follow.
• The Duomo is at the center of Milan, and this is a photo from its steps looking toward the big tents set up by Il Salone for the press preview on Monday.
• Walking towards the Duomo in the background.
• Milan is also a big fashion center, and the interplay between fashion and design is irresistible (to me).
• Note waterfall of fresh coconut on the left at this corner shop and the International Herald Tribune stand in the rear.
• The Alessi store was having a party surrounding the debut of David Chipperfield's new folding chair, a range of new CFLs and a room of student work supported by Alessi.
• In an impressive demonstration of storage, Chipperfield's folding chairs were displayed side by side along the side of the shop, creating a Paul Smith-like colorful stripe effect.
• I snapped this mother rolling her daughter home down one of the many entrances that you'll find off the main streets.
• I loved spotting this dress through the window.
• Finally, driving home last night, I took a few pics from the taxi, which convey a bit of the mood.