Olive oil–based soaps? Check. Organic-cotton bath towels? You wouldn't dare wrap your bod in anything else. But as city dwellers know all too well, a small bathroom takes on the personality of the biggest item in it—and most often, that's the shower curtain. The options below the jump promise to make your bathing routine all the kinder to Mother Earth.Shown above the jump, from left to right:
1. Sonny side up! The Sonny Shower Curtain by Vita Futura ($29.99) is made of non-toxic, environmentally friendly lightweight PEVA, a non-vinyl, non-chlorine-based plastic. Shown in blue, it's available in five bright color ways. No liner necessary.
2. Embrace your inner ice queen with Bed Bath & Beyond's Ice Circles Vinyl Shower Curtain ($19.99), which is made of chloride-free PEVA vinyl.
3. We'll happy say namaste to this one: Gaiam expands upon its yoga-gear reputation with a line of eco-friendly housewares. Pesticide-free flax-based linen provides the material for the Linen Shower Curtain ($58). It's tough enough to withstand routine machine washings.
4. Bring botanical bliss into the bath with a new line of couture shower curtains from British textile designer Kaniez Abdi for NYC-based home-accessories brand Kontextür. The collection includes four distinct designs (from $150); Blossom, shown, is made of found glow-edge PVC embroidered onto white bamboo.
5. One man's trash is truly another man's treasure—just look at the Splash Recycled Shower Curtain from Monsoon Vermont ($84.95). The company's innovative products are made from non-recyclable plastics collected by scavengers from the streets, landfills and waterways of Jakarta, Indonesia.
6. Pack it in! Satara's Pack Cloth Shower Curtain ($50) is made from a durable urethane-coated nylon fabric that doesn't out-gas.
7. Embrace your inner DIY'er with Urban Outfitter's DIY Shower Curtain ($36). A recyclable HDPE plastic curtain (PVC-free) serves as a canvas for whatever you devise with a non-toxic marker. (Machine wash curtain before drawing.)