Although our equinox egg balance didn't work and it's still hot enough in LA to wear our summer dresses, we're still excited for the first day of fall and looking forward to slightly cooler weather and our favorite sounds of the season. Our list, after the jump...
- The hollow echo of a pumpkin as it's carved for Halloween
- The rustle of small hands digging into a bowl of candies
- The crackle of fire in the homes of friends (and the ashy sound of a log in the fireplace as breaks and falls)
- The slap of playing pieces against our friend's marble coffee table during a challenging game of Mexican dominoes or Scrabble.
- The glug of red wine left to breathe in a cafe as it's poured into glasses and the clink of those glasses as they toast.
- The soft click of buttons on our fall jackets and the strong clomp of our boots.
- The stillness at the end of a really satisfying movie.
- The orchestra of hammers that is the sound the heat when it's turned on for the first time.
- The clatter of silverware and plates in the sink after a dinner party; the sound of the last dish as it goes into dishrack to dry
- The cacaphony of voices from people you haven't seen in a long time.
What about you? What are your favorite sounds of fall?
[image: j reed's flickr, with a Creative Commons License]