Like last year, I took a laid back approach to Black Friday, waking up at a normal hour and having breakfast before heading out. After a stop at Macy's where I snagged some unexciting but comfy pillows, I swung by Home Depot and a few pet stores before getting to the more fun (for me) Best Buy and hhgreg stores where I picked up the Roku 2 XS we just recommended in our New HDTV Owner's Gift Guide. It was all we could do to resist the outrageous HDTV deals lining the aisles.Cyber Monday deals will be better but really the wheeling and dealing has turned into a week(end) long affair.
Either way as a consumer we happily enjoy better tech at better prices. I heard some astounding holiday shopping stats while I grabbed some leftover turkey from the fridge and sat in front of my HDTV with my new Roku. We hope you're doing the same with your new swag - share with us what you got!
"Sales on [Black Friday] in the U.S. fell 1.8 percent from last year to $11.2 billion"
"...online sales rose 21 percent on Black Friday and 17 percent on Thanksgiving"
"...holiday sales, including online, will rise 4.1 percent to about $586.1 billion this year, compared with a 5.6 percent gain in 2011."
"Online sales expected to gain 12 percent to $96 billion this year, three times as fast as total sales."
2012 APARTMENT THERAPY TECH GIFT GUIDE
• The New HDTV Owner's Gift Guide
• Stylish and Functional Tech For Fashionistas
• Give the Gift of Organization With These Clutter Clearing Solutions
• 10 Gift Ideas: For the Outdoor Adventurer
• The Finest in Gentlemen's Tech Haberdashery
MORE SHOPPING, BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• 10 Ideas: Stress-Free Online Gift Shopping
• Black Friday and Cyber Monday Tech Deals for Every Room of the Home
• Tips and Tricks For A Safe and Successful Cyber Monday
• 2011 Black Friday By The Numbers: 3,580 Macs Per Hour!
(Images: Shutterstock/K2 images)