Like last year, I took a laid back approach to Black Friday, waking up at a normal hour and having breakfast before heading out. After a stop at Macy's where I snagged some unexciting but comfy pillows, I swung by Home Depot and a few pet stores before getting to the more fun (for me) Best Buy and hhgreg stores where I picked up the Roku 2 XS we just recommended in our New HDTV Owner's Gift Guide. It was all we could do to resist the outrageous HDTV deals lining the aisles.
Either way as a consumer we happily enjoy better tech at better prices. I heard some astounding holiday shopping stats while I grabbed some leftover turkey from the fridge and sat in front of my HDTV with my new Roku. We hope you're doing the same with your new swag - share with us what you got!
"Sales on [Black Friday] in the U.S. fell 1.8 percent from last year to $11.2 billion"
"...online sales rose 21 percent on Black Friday and 17 percent on Thanksgiving"
"...holiday sales, including online, will rise 4.1 percent to about $586.1 billion this year, compared with a 5.6 percent gain in 2011."
"Online sales expected to gain 12 percent to $96 billion this year, three times as fast as total sales."
2012 APARTMENT THERAPY TECH GIFT GUIDE
• The New HDTV Owner's Gift Guide
• Stylish and Functional Tech For Fashionistas
• Give the Gift of Organization With These Clutter Clearing Solutions
• 10 Gift Ideas: For the Outdoor Adventurer
• The Finest in Gentlemen's Tech Haberdashery
MORE SHOPPING, BLACK FRIDAY & CYBER MONDAY ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• 10 Ideas: Stress-Free Online Gift Shopping
• Black Friday and Cyber Monday Tech Deals for Every Room of the Home
• Tips and Tricks For A Safe and Successful Cyber Monday
• 2011 Black Friday By The Numbers: 3,580 Macs Per Hour!
(Images: Shutterstock/K2 images)