ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
The ENERGY STAR label was established to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants caused by the inefficient use of energy; and
- Make it easy for consumers to identify and purchase energy-efficient products that offer savings on energy bills without sacrificing performance, features, and comfort.
The guiding principles that establish the ENERGY STAR specifications are based on the following:The ENERGY STAR website actually packs quite a lot of resources to help you save energy at home, with a ton of tips, techniques, and pointers. There’s a neat energy score calculator that can help you determine your household’s energy use and the ENERGY STAR Home Advisor gives you customized recommendations based on your input. ENERGY STAR goes beyond the home into your workplace too, offering strategies and tools.
- Product categories must contribute significant energy savings nationwide.
- Qualified products must deliver the features and performance demanded by consumers, in addition to increased energy efficiency.
- If the qualified product costs more than a conventional, less-efficient counterpart, purchasers will recover their investment in increased energy efficiency through utility bill savings, within a reasonable period of time.
- Energy efficiency can be achieved through broadly available, non-proprietary technologies offered by more than one manufacturer. Product energy consumption and performance can be measured and verified with testing.
- Labeling would effectively differentiate products and be visible for purchasers.
Great links from the ENERGY STAR website
- Cool Your World this Summer with Seven Simple Ways to Save With ENERGY STAR
- 2011 Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency
- Rebate Finder: Special Offers and Rebates from ENERGY STAR Partners
- Recycling with ENERGY STAR
- ENERGY STAR Podcast
ENERGY STAR from the Unplggd archives
ENERGY STAR Refrigerators
- Green Tip: Pick Energy Star
- The ENERGY STAR Choose a Light Guide
- How to Calculate Possible Energy Star Money Savings
- How To Choose Energy Efficient Appliances
- Good Questions: Recycling Old Appliances?
- Tune Up Your Heating System for the Winter
- 3 Ways to Conduct a Home Energy Audit
ENERGY STAR Dishwashers
- Techy & Minimal Refrigerators from Dacor & Rangemaster
- New Professional Style Frigidaire & Maytag Refrigerators
ENERGY STAR Washing Machines
- Beer Glass Chilling Dishwashers, Welcome to the Future
- The Space Saving Premia Countertop Compact Dishwasher
ENERGY STAR Air Purifiers
- Best Energy-Efficient & Water-Saving Washing Machines
- Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryers Bring Color Into the Laundry Room
- Washing Machines: From Turkey With Love
ENERGY STAR Water Heaters
- RabbitAir MinusA2 Artist Series: The (Nearly) Perfect Bedroom Air Purifier
- Paralda Air Purifier UV, HEPA and Ionizes Your Air Clean
- AirMD Air Purifier
- Dell Sees Green and Produces Energy Efficient PCs and Screens
- Can the New Dell LED Displays Compete with Apple?
- Belkin N+: Wireless Router Allows NAS Sharing and Backups