I've been known to splay out on the sofa on Thanksgiving Day in my unbuttoned jeans, with a glass of wine in one hand and a plate of food in the other. Guilty as charged. But if you've got an acute case of cabin fever, or are itching to do something more productive, there's much to offer beyond football. Here are eight good candidates:
- Make Black Friday Plans: If you are one of the crazy people who gets up early and camps out in line in front of Target, then you need to get your battle strategy in place. Of course, if you prefer to shop from the comfort of home, check out our guide to all the Black Friday cyber deals out there.
- Run or Walk for a Cause: Tons of towns hold local fundraisers involving 5K Turkey Trots that everyone can participate in. It gets you out of the house, and doing a little activity to counter the big honkin’ meal that’s coming later in the day.
- Play Games: Join in on some good, clean and wholesome family fun by playing any number of games all day. Something like Charades gets you moving, and Trivial Pursuit gets your brain working. Here are ten good ones that get everyone in on the fun.
- Read Aloud: Maxwell goes old school and likes to read either a Thanksgiving poem, or excerpts from The Writer’s Almanac.
- Make Something: You can make some last-minute DIY projects for Thanksgiving dinner, or get a start on some Christmas crafts. It keeps kids busy, and gives you something to do instead of mindlessly watching television.
- Hit up a Holiday Market: Immerse yourself in a little more tradition by heading out to a local European style market. Drink some Glogg, eat some chestnuts, and buy yourself a pickle ornament to hang on your tree this year.
- Take a Family Photo: Take advantage of everyone being in one place at the same time, and document your relations another year older.
- Other Community Events: There's bound to be lots of good stuff happening in your immediate vicinity. Check out something like Time Out or your weekly newspaper for happenings and events, including volunteer opportunities or concerts and the like.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Here's hoping you have a wonderful day full of fun, food, family & friends...