Recently, Buzzfeed weighed in on what to spend money on in your wardrobe. Save on the trendy stuff; splurge on the basics and handbags. We thought about how to translate the same principles to our home decor budget. Our suggestions, after the jump...
Spend on these items that form the backbone of your home's look:
- A great couch - the centrepiece of your living room, it can make the difference between wanting to hang out and avoiding the room like the plague. Make it classic and make it comfortable. Add an upholster to your entourage and your couch can be updated as your home changes.
- A great bed - they say you spend 1/3 of your life in bed. With great sleep the foundation of good physical and emotional health, this is not a place to skimp. As with a couch in the living room, a great bedframe forms the focal point of your bedroom. Include a great mattress in your splurge.
- A dining room table - a great table elevates everything you put on it and around it, from food to people.
- An office chair - if you work at home, spend money on a good chair. Your back and shoulders will thank you.
Save on these items. Think of them as accessories that can change the look of your home's basics:
- A rug - with great rugs available from West Elm to Overstock, you can change our your rug with the seasons.
- Lamps - change the shade on a pre-existing lamp or create your own lamp from flea market found objects.
- Side tables - Whether it's a classic round dot or a bright rectangle of colour, a side table can change the mood of a room from playful to traditional to modern.
- Dining room chairs - the only prerequisite is that they're comfortable, otherwise, have fun with them!