MobileMe accounts when we use those Apple ID for iCloud. True story, it is not as nice of a transition as we had hoped.
Do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news is that some MobileMe features do not vanish when you use that Apple ID for iCloud, the bad news is other things do. Of course we all know that several of the features we love about MobileMe are going away on June 30, 2012, but did you know that some features end as soon as you make the switch to iCloud? Here are some of the things you need to know before making the decision to transition:
- E-mail: If you transition to iCloud (before June 30, 2012) you can keep your .Mac email address as well as other email aliases you were using with your active MobileMe account. This is nice news for those of us who have been using those email addresses for years.
- Websites: Those who host their websites with MobileMe take heart, they will not vanish from existence if you transition to iCloud. Do keep in mind that they will wink out of existence on June 30, 2012 so make sure to have changed hosting options before then.
- Pictures: Your pictures hosted on MobileMe Gallery will continue to be hosted until June 30, 2012 even if you transition to iCloud.
- iDisk: You can continue using MobileMe iDisk through June 30, 2012, even after moving to iCloud. Not sure what to replace iDisk with? Take a look at some of our suggestions.
- Syncing: Here is where the big bunch of bad news is, all of the syncing that we love very much, the Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences, will continue to work until June 30, 2012 OR until we switch to iCloud (whichever comes first). For more details, see this article from Apple.
Of course with iCloud you also gain a few handy things including having your music, documents, and photos all push to your devices. To learn more about iCloud check out our post and this info from Apple.