I'm not a gardener — I only have a couple of houseplants that I've miraculously avoided killing — but I'm addicted to window shopping in garden stores. If there's a storefront with plant stands on the sidewalk, I'll inevitably walk in and check it out. You know, just to see what my life would be like if I had the ability to grow things. To start, here are ten of my favorite places to browse for plants, flowers, and garden decor. Spread across the country, they include online shops, small boutiques, one or two chains, and a few out-of-the-ordinary nurseries (urban chicken farming, anyone?).
Help us round out the list and share your favorite garden stores in the comments!
A BRIEF STARTER LIST
1. Terrain: Boho style for outdoor spaces from Anthropologie's garden spinoff
2. Fire Escape Farms: An online store with gorgeous photos of seeds and gardening tools
3. Paxton Gate: A San Francisco shop full of strange plants, fossils, and insects
4. Sprout Home: A modern home & garden store with locations in Brooklyn and Chicago
5. Gardener's Supply Company: Practical, affordable garden decor from a web catalog
6. Jayson Home & Garden: "French flea market" style from a Chicago-based shop
7. GRDN: A Brooklyn store with lots of options for urban gardeners
8. Rolling Greens Nursery: An LA store well stocked with plants and eye candy
9. Pistils Nursery: A Portland shop that specializes in urban chicken farming!
10. Graceful Gardens: A combination florist and urban garden source in Brooklyn
Photos: (1) Kitchen Products from Terrain, (2) Beet Seeds from Fire Escape Farms, (3) Jessica Watson | Apartment Therapy, (4) Sarah Rae Trover | Apartment Therapy, (5) Tub Trugs from Gardener's Supply, (6) Hema Bud Vases at Jayson Home & Garden, (7) GRDN, (8) Rolling Greens Nursery, (9) Molly Anderson | Apartment Therapy, (10) Graceful Gardens