When we get invited to a friend's housewarming party, we find ourselves scrambling for a special gift. We usually wait until the last minute to pick up something and then we resort to a bottle of wine of a bouquet of flowers. Even though any gift is a thoughtful gesture, we are left feeling disappointed when we see other house guests walking in the door with another bottle of wine or flowers.
We promise ourselves that for the next housewarming party, we will plan ahead and purchase a gift that is unique and very special. In preparation for the next party, we prepared a list of thoughtful, gift suggestions that will stand out from the rest.
- Cooking Class Gift Certificate: Even if the new homeowner is a skilled chef, there is always a benefit to be gained at a cooking class and not to mention the classes are a lot of fun. Personally, we would much rather spend the night preparing our meal with other couples, than overpaying at a 5-star restaurant.
- Maid Service Gift Certificate: With the new responsibilites and to-do lists that go along with homeownership and moving, it would be nice to be able to take a break and have someone clean your house for a day.
- Apartment Therapy Presents: Real Homes, Real People, Hundreds of Design Solutions Book: Ok, this may seem like a self-promotion for our own book. However, when your friends move into their new home they will need ideas for how to decorate and make their space their own. We find that some design books have beautiful inspirational photos, but the design ideas are not attainable to incorporate into our own homes.
- Gift certificate to a Florist: We love the life and color that fresh flowers bring into the home. With a gift certificate to a favorite florist, your friend can chose from a selection of flowers.
- Fun Theme Cookbook (i.e. 500 Cupcakes): If you are like us, we have a wide collection of cookbooks, some that we rarely reference. We like to make cooking fun and it is aways great to have a new twist on a common recipe.
- Fresh fruit from Farmer's Market: We really don't think this one needs an explanation, but we will give an explanation anyways. New homeowners are quite busy and most likely don't have the time to make it to the local Farmer's Market, let alone the grocery store. Imagine showing up with fresh, ripe strawberries, cherries, and blueberries. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
- Donation in Their Name to Habitat for Humanity (for those who have everything): While we are busy celebrating the purchase of our friend's new home, it is nice to remember, as our mother would always say, how lucky we are and there are those that are less fortunate than us. It would be special and rewarding to make a donation to Habitat for Humanity in our friend's name.
One of our other editors, Beth, also wrote a post listing great ideas for housewarming gifts, including a custom housewarming bucket.