Whisper Wool acoustic underlay helps reduce noise often associated with wood and laminate flooring. It's made with a minimum of 85% recycled wool recovered from carpet manufacturers, and offers a slight insulating value (R-0.65) when used under floating floors.
Wool has the ability to naturally absorb volatile organic compounds and formaldehyde and will self-extinguish once a flame is removed. A thin film of polypropylene serves as a moisture barrier to inhibit the growth of microbes, protecting flooring products and building occupants. Polypropylene is a biologically inert plastic that is often used in food packaging (such as yogurt containers) and medical applications. It has low toxicity and low flammability, and polypropylene cannot be digested by insects.
Other benefits of a wool underlay:
- Biodegrades in soil in 2-3 years while adding Nitrogen and nutrients to soil.
- Multi-part fiber resists wear. Wool fiber is a natural 3-dimensional and spiral shape, like a spring.
- Wool provides impressive sound and thermal insulation ratings.
- Fiber sheds water but it also regulates humidity.
- The outer layer of wool fiber is covered with overlapping scales, like shingles on a roof, which prevent soil penetration.
- Wool springs back quickly due to its natural spiral shape.
- Wool self extinguishes after a flame is removed, primarily due to its moisture content.