Stylists and decorators know that rugs are as effective off the floor as they are on. Used as wall hangings in catalogs and photo shoots, they are a secret weapon in the mission to create full, interesting, and beautiful rooms. Here are five ways that area rugs can do the trick.
1. Above, This blue and white shag rug from Urban Outfitters is massively textured and breaks up the otherwise flat painted wall.
2. Homestead Seattle staged this living room with a huge rug that takes up almost the entire wall. In terms of cost per inch, that's an affordable way to cover a lot of real estate and make a gigantic statement.
3. A Moroccan rug, like this one seen on Elle Decor, is substantial, yet remains a neutral backdrop for this serene bedroom. Yet it gives the wall extra warmth and depth.
4. Small rugs or narrow runners, such as Ferm Living's Kelim Carpet, can create little "moments" in awkward or transitional spots on the wall.
5. Ingrid of Wood & Wool Stool styled this rug (from Bobochoses) in her home, using it as an alternative to art. It is fun, graphic, and adds the right amount of cheer and color to the space.
Have you ever used a rug on the wall versus the floor? If so, did you like the result?
(Image credits: Urban Outfitters; Homestead Seattle; Elle Decor; Ferm Living; Wood & Wool Stool)