Yesterday, Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia, announced the launch of Wikia Green. Similar to Wikipedia, the site will act as a database of information that can be instantly updated to reflect the most current information in the ever evolving world of environmentalism.
Wikia Green was conceived initially through a conversation with Al Gore last year just before he won the Nobel Prize:
"He said there should be a green wiki...We discussed it some and I decided hey, this is a good idea."
Green Wikia is meant to be different from Wikipedia as it's content will be written from a green point of view. The content is primarily focused on things you can do, such as how to reduce your carbon footprint. Articles are meant to be more accessible and relevant to the average reader. For example, Wales explained, an article on biodiesel would contain the information that consumers want to know, and not necessarily the details of the chemistry of biodiesel.
The site will initially focus on six main content areas:
- Environmental Issues: This category consists of all types of articles within the topic environmental issues. This is the place to be if you want to learn more about current emissions problems, global warming, local and global environmental politics and other environmental challenges.
- Sustainable Living: Learn how to reduce your carbon footprint, how to reuse and recycle, more about green products for your home, garden, etc.
- Green Science and Technology: This section explores environmental issues such as global warming, the greenhouse effect, and renewable energy sources to reduce fossil fuel dependence and carbon emissions.
- Go Local: Where towns, cities and states can share details on how acting local can contribute to reduce global carbon emissions
- The Green Movement: Includes organizations, campaigns, activist's, political parties and other also environmental issues.
- 'How To' Topics: The forum to find the answer to all types of green questions.