Location: Cabbagetown; Toronto, Ontario
Size: 1,300 sq. feet
Years lived in: 4.5 years owned
We last visited Will's English Gentry in Cabbagetown in the summer of 2010. While there wasn't much to improve on since then, Will has moved around furniture, acquired some new accessories and renovated his furnace room. So this tour shows details missed in the first tour and focuses on the small changes that alter the feel of the space.
In the guest bedroom, Will changed the rug and layout of the shelves, having the shelves fit the height of his favorite magazine, The New Yorker, to properly store his collection. He also moved around artwork and acquired a new vase. In the entryway, Will found new accessories: new picture frame, globe and books.
Will's next project? In the spring, he wants to redo the garden by putting down cobblestone. This past year he planted a lot and should look better next year. It will be a big job but he is motivated by the neighbors' redoing their garden and feeling the need to "keep up with the Jones'." 2012 is the year of the garden.
Changes of Note:
• table from upstairs is now in the living room (it used to hold TV cables in the bedroom) and new chair.
• umbrella stand moved to a new spot.
• new accessories: Fornasetti coaster, new books
• position of frames changed - there were a few bugging me before; now it's better.
• new lamp, new side tables, new pictures on the wall (etchings and bird print), other art and accessories moved around
• side tables from an estate sale. I found packets of panty hose and letters from the 1950's in the drawers. One letter was a typed up 5-day diet from the 1950s that a friend typed for her.
• mirrors and accessories moved around.
• completely renovated with everything taken out, flooring redone, new furnace with humidifier, electricity, walls, peg-board organizer on wall for tools and brushes. I painted the room a beige color that is neutral and clean-looking because it's a functional room and not in the palette of the rest of the house.
For Will's Apartment Therapy Survey, see Will's English Gentry in Cabbagetown.
Images: Rachael Grad
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.