I'll admit that when it comes to hostess gifts, I lack a certain amount of creativity. I usually opt for the standard bottle of wine. But nothing says afterthought like a crumpled brown paper bag. Here are some chic alternatives that will make even a $7 bottle of Trader Joe's Merlot look like a million bucks.
Many of these ideas could be assembled at home with paper or fabric scraps, but the extra effort will go a long way toward making your host feel special. Here are a few more suggestions:
- Wrap the bottle in a beautiful tea towel secured with ribbon or twine.
- Attach your favorite recipe for coq au vin or beef bourguignon.
- Include an aromatic sachet of spices along with instructions for making mulled wine.
- Use floral wire to attach a seasonal bouquet of pine cones, hypericum berries, or bittersweet vine.
- Print gift tags with your own wine witticisms: Wanna share a Cab?