Living here in multi-culturally diverse Los Angeles, we could imagine this app would come in awfully handy when ordering from menus or for navigating business signs in certain ethnic districts. For now, the free app is only available in Spanish to English and English to Spanish versions, but there are plans for additional languages, making this a technology travelers and large city dwellers would likely pay a modest sum for.Here's the 411 on the free app, Word Lens:
- Reverse Words (spell all words backwards)
- Erase Words (advanced digital white-out technology)
- NO NETWORK required - results appear immediately on your video screen when you need it, anywhere in the world
- Easy to use, like the regular camera
- Look up translations by typing them in, too
- best used on clearly printed text (e.g. signs, menus)
- does NOT recognize handwriting or stylized fonts
- it's not perfect, but you can get the general meaning!
- keep text in focus by holding it at least one hand-length away
- iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs, or iPod Touch with video camera
- iOS 4.0 or later
- iPhone 3gs and iPod Touch do not have zoom or flash light features
- iPod Touch camera does not have auto-focus feature
Download Word Lens and tell us what you think!
[via Mac Rumors]