Remember the Hamburger Bed? How could you forget the all beef patty, lettuce, cheese, pickles, on a sesame seed bun bed? Creator Kayla Kromer of Austin is now selling her wonderfully silly creation on eBay, with a "value menu" price starting at $.99 (it's already jumped to $315 at this moment). Interested? Details below...
Construction began almost seven months ago. Inspired by a screening of cult comedy "Hamburger: The Motion Picture," and enthused after buying her first house, a twenty-something teacher and creator of outrageous themed baked goods turned her attention to crafting a tribute to America's greatest culinary triumph.
One month of labor and $800 in raw materials later, all doubts were erased when its official unveiling at a housewarming party led to a stampede of attention and affection. Word quickly spread and its legend grew. It seemed everyone wanted to have their picture taken with the bed that looks like a hamburger. The unexpected stream of e-mails, blog posts, phone calls, magazine articles, and business offers was almost too much to handle.
It was widely known that the bed was not for sale, nor would it be reproduced. However, a string of unfortunate personal events has cause the creator, Kayla Kromer, to sell her wonderful bed. She has a replacement bed ready to work on (it's not food).
About the Bed:
- eight feet in diameter
- three feet tall
- well maintained
- nearly all of the "ingredients" are conveniently machine washable.
Included with the purchase:
- co-administrator rights to the Facebook fan page
- the hamburgerbed.com domain
- a copy of "Hamburger: The Motion Picture."
- 10% of all proceeds will be donated to the Alamo Kids Club, a free film series in Austin that shares the sense of fun and pure love of movies that drove the creation of the Hamburger Bed in the first place.
- It will not be easy to ship. Any viable shipping method selected and paid for by the winner will be honored. However, people in Texas have a geographic advantage in this area as they are welcome to come and pick it up in person at its home in Austin.
Note-worthy correlated events:
- The bed will receive a very special visitor, cult comedian, Neil Hamburger is scheduled to pay the bed a visit on July 17th before his performance later that night.
- The auction also honors Dick McDonald who died 11 years ago on July 14th. McDonald was co-founder of the famous restaurant chain that bears his name, and he served the very first of the most widely eaten hamburgers of all time.
Bid on the Hamburger Bed on eBay here.