Some of the most inspiring stories we've read on Apartment Therapy come from brave souls who have made a fresh start with their homes. Whether downsizing, moving across the country, or just finding a new groove, they've been able to get rid of anything that's holding them back and begin anew, setting up their home just the way they want it. Click through to see how they started over.
- 1) Michelle's first home is all her own. From the paint choices to the furniture to the potted plants, she designed the whole thing from scratch.
- 2) When Jenny and Clove moved from LA to NY, they set up a beautiful new space on a shoestring budget.
- 3) Dave craigslisted almost all of his old stuff, moved into a smaller space, and re-designed it to suit his new sense of style.
- 4) Professional organizer Laura downsized to 250 square feet. Luckily, she knows how to layout a new space to feel calm, collected, and well cared for.
- 5) When the Deaners moved from New York City to Rhode Island, they gained a lot of space, and spent some time customizing it for their family of three.
We're impressed and inspired by these fearless decorators. It's not easy to plan a space from the ground up, but it can be very liberating. How about you? Could you see yourself ever starting over from scratch?
Photos: Jill Slater, Jenny and Clove, Andrew Wehde, Jill Slater, Wes & Kayla Schwartz
Republished from a post originally published 08.17.2010.