Although we love city living, it can be stressful.
This year, Forbes magazine gave Chicago the honor of being the nation's most stressful city, edging out New York thanks to our rising unemployment rates, expensive gas, high population density and poor air quality. In response, Conscious Choice compiled a list of ways for city dwellers to maintain their cool...
- A few of their recommendations:
- Combat the stress of high-density living by reconnecting with nature and getting outside the city every once in a while.
- Deal with economic anxiety by developing a financial plan. Preparing for the worst case scenario gives you guidelines for handling possible job loss. Live below your means in order to save up a nest egg for hard times.
- If you've lost your job, treat looking for work as its own job and develop a schedule of small, manageable tasks. Don't cut yourself off from others; networking and talking to friends increases your chances of finding a new job.
- Counteract the stressful effects of poor air quality by using green cleaners, air filters, and potted plants in your home.
- Overscheduling yourself can lead to a meltdown. Make time to concentrate on one task, whether it's exercising, reading, or writing.