Name: Ashlea and Chris Walter
Children: Wren Sabina, 11 months
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
We love a good remodeling project. There is such a wonderful feeling when you first begin and you are filled with a million "What ifs.." Wren's nursery was recently remodeled and it definitely shows us that the "after" will always beat up the "before."
Wren's parents, Ashlea and Chris, repainted the walls, refinished the floors and decided to create a spacious, yet comfy and inviting room with a lovely orange and green palette. The effect is a warm and inviting room that looks light years away from how it began.
Woods and dunes of northern Michigan with a splash of early summer poppies. Plus a bit of funk!
The pieces of artwork that our family and friends have made for Wren: wren mobile, heirloom stitchings and paintings. I love how they have blended with the furnishings and overall feel of the nursery.
Fitting the furniture pieces into a very small room without it feeling crowded and unbalanced.
What Friends Say:
"Awwww, it's so Wren!"
Wren, of course! And Wren's dresser, which had been stripped and sanded, then I lined it with some cute-as-a-button sage green drawer liners (Target!), painted the drawer fronts orange and installed new funky hardware. An old dresser, reborn.
No VOC Freshaire Choice paint & BioShield wood finish. It was a no-brainer for Wren's nest, but they are obviously more expensive.
Best advice for those approaching the nursery decorating process:
Don't get too caught up in the gender of the child; think outside the blue or pink box. We didn't know what we were having and I think this helped us to create a room that we'd be proud to raise any baby in, boy or girl.
• Crib: Jardine Americana (Babies R Us)
• Changing table: Target
• Banana leaf baskets: Kmart
• Rocking chair/ottoman: Dwell Studio for Target
• Crib bedding: Dwell Studio for Target
• Rug: Land of Nod
• Roman shades: JCPenney
• Dresser: hand-me-down DIY Wren-style
• Paint: Freshaire Choice available at Home Depot. Sacred Soil (brown) and Northern Pear Tree (green).
• Wall decals: Squirrel with acorns by Vinylfruit on Etsy.
• Organic cotton "Clementine Kiss" blanket: Made my Whynotsewn on Etsy.
• Squirrel booties: Made by WonderfulDay on Etsy.
Thanks for sharing with us, Wren, Ashlea and Chris!