Anybody who's ever seen an Ikea Hack knows that some home goods make the seamless move from room to room, making themselves useful for something other than intended. So if you've run out of ideas for home office storage, make your way over to the kitchen section. One Lifehacker blogger did, and came out with a couple cool kitchen-turned-office solutions, plus we've added a few of our own ideas. Check 'em out!Adam Dachis at Lifehacker showcased a few different ways that he uses kitchen tools in his home office:
- Single-serving bowls are great for storing CDs and DVDs. They're definitely a better-looking alternative to plastic drum cases.
- A compartment plastic lunch tray, a $2 find from Target, makes for an awesome in-drawer organizer.
- A caster-fitted wire kitchen shelf finds new life as office storage. It's hefty enough to hang on to heavy equipment, but it can be moved around easily to access wires.
But we can think of a few more ways to put kitchen gear to use in the office.
Check out these ideas, pictured in the gallery above:
- Ikea's VURM Wine Rack has been used in the bathroom to store towels before, but we think it can be useful in the office. Stock it with a few 4-inch wide document tubes to easily store big sheets of paper like blueprints.
- You can also use the VURM rack to store a few magazines by rolling them up into the wine slots.
- A cupcake pan or muffin tin is a great way to organize small goodies like paper clips and push pins.
- Anything made to hold utensils can be used for pens and pencils. Use wall-mounted cups and buckets, like Ikea's ASKER line, as out-of-the-way office organizers and add extra features, like a clock!
- Similarly, you can use ice cube trays, plastic or silicone, to organize small bits. Or use Ikea's elongated $2 Plastis Ice Cube Tray as a mail organizer.
- A trivet is designed to protect tables and counter tops from hot dishes—which can make it perfect for cooling down a laptop. Try Ikea's LÄMPLIG.
- Think outside the office store and use a kitchen or dining table as a desk. Check out our posts, Using an Ikea Kitchen Table as a Desk and Ikea's Melltorp Dining Table Is One of the Best Office Desks, for inspiration.