It's been 19 weeks with the Kinect and like with any exercise routine, we have to strive to keep things fresh so as not to get bored and quit. One of the ways in which we stay motivated is to vary our routines in an unconventional way. In this post we will take a look at some of our favourite exercise routines and why they have worked well for us.
When we first started using the Kinect to exercise we focused on a single title for several weeks. We went through each activity in the title in the order laid out by the game (if there was one) and used time as the primary guideline for each routine. An example of this is when we used Your Shape Fitness Evolved, and followed the routines laid out by the game during our 30 minutes that we had allotted to exercise.
Once we became more familiar with each of the titles we had access to, we decided to start getting creative. We created routines that focused on certain areas of the body as well as overall fitness goals and went as far as mixing titles in a single workout session to add some variety.
Our Favourite Routines:
1. 3 easy songs, 2 medium songs in Dance Central followed by 3 River Runs in Kinect Adventures (35 minutes)
2. Table Tennis & Boxing in Kinect Sports followed by 20 minute Calorie Challenge, and Zumba Fitness single workout session (45 minutes)
1. Soccer & Bowling in Kinect Sports, 1 Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (lunge focus) session, and Biking in EA Sports Active 2. (35 minutes)
2. 2 medium songs in Dance Central, Dodgeball in EA Sports Active 2, and Hula Hoop in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. (25 minutes)
Once we started changing the games during the workout we noticed a big leap in our exercise satisfaction. We use the downtime while the games are ejecting and loading to stretch and drink some water so that it does not mess with the flow of the workout too much. Until we can find a title that has everything we are looking for, we will continue to mix and match games to create our dream video game workout.
What are some ways you keep your video game exercise fresh?
Weeks 1-18 with the Xbox 360 and Kinect:
- Week One: Getting Setup and Dance Central
- Week Two: Kinect Sports
- Week Three: The Biggest Loser
- Week Four: EA Sports Active 2
- Week Five: Your Shape Fitness Evolved
- Week Six: Hitting the Wall
- Week Seven: Calorie Challenge
- Week Eight: Powerful 10 Minute Workouts
- Week Nine: Holiday Game Preview
- Week Ten: Benefits of Barefoot Exercise
- Week Eleven: Active Gaming for Kids
- Week Twelve: Kinect vs the Gym
- Week Thirteen: Kinect vs Wii Balance Board
- Week Fourteen: Zumba Fitness
- Week Fifteen: Non Traditional Fitness
- Week Sixteen: What Makes a Great Fitness Title?
- Week Seventeen: Cleaning Sweaty Accessories
- Week Eighteen: Majesco Holiday Preview
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)