We love working out
with video games, but one thing we are not crazy about is just how sweaty
the controllers and other gaming accessories get after a good workout. After several months of using both the Wii and the Kinect to exercise we have discovered a few different tips and tools to de-grime
our gaming accessories.
5 tips & tools to clean sweaty gaming accessories:
1) Wipes: For our controllers we have found we like using disinfecting wipes like Lysol Disinfecting Wipes and Seventh Generation Disinfecting Wipes. Before using the wipes we wring out the excess moisture and then wipe down the controller and Wii Fit board.
2) Isopropyl Alcohol: We use isopropyl alcohol with a kitchen towel on all hard plastic gaming accessories. For getting into the controller nooks we use a cotton swab wand dipped in isopropyl alcohol and it works like a charm.
3) Castile Soap: For cloth handles and straps we soak them in a warm water solution with a little bit of castile soap for a few hours and it seems to work well for keeping them clean and fresh smelling. Our favorite soap to use for this is Dr Bronner's Peppermint Liquid Soap.
4) Bamboo Sports Towel: Before we start cleaning any of our gaming accessories with a solution, we wipe them down immediately after each activity with a bamboo sports towel. We opt for bamboo because of the natural anti-bacterial and odor eating properties. By wiping the accessories immediately after each workout they are easier to hold/ stand on and are much less grimy between uses.
5) Vacuum: Although it might sound strange, one of our biggest cleaning tools for game accessories is a vacuum with a thin nozzle attachment. This attachment helps us to get into grooves that our cotton swab cannot reach and we give all of our gaming accessories a good vacuum at least once a month.
How do you clean your sweaty gaming accessories?
Weeks 1-16 with the Xbox 360 and Kinect:
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)