The best thing about modern design is figuring out whether you love it or not. Like some contemporary art, it takes awhile to mull over and figure it out. Here are five pieces that I stumbled across while looking at coverage of Milan Design Week. They definitely push boundaries, but are they successful? You decide.
- Pega's WindUp Chair charges your smartphone as you sit. Crank up the back, and let it do its thing while you relax.
- Yep, you guess it. This nose hardware, designed by Studio Job for Lensvelt, requires sticking your fingers in the nostrils to open.
- This cabinet from Ferruccio Laviani is definitely a little trippy, but fascinating at the same time. Does it read like a computer glitch? Via Dezeen.
- Is this Jolly Roger chair strange and beautiful, or has someone been reading too much Harry Potter?
- This ceramic vessel, made by Christina Schou Christensen, reads anthropomorphic and experimental. I'm still waiting for it to walk away on its own volition.
What do you think? Have you seen anything lately that you're not sure about?
(Images: as linked above)