It suddenly got very hot this week in my neck of the woods, so my thoughts naturally turned towards the beach (a short drive away, but alas, not on school days). I find it's usually a good idea to have some backup sand toys with us for when frolicking in the waves has lost its charm. With this round of fun sand toys, you might even find that the sand play takes front and center.
1. Quut Triplet, $9.95, at Fat Brain Toys. A shovel, rake, flat compacter, sifter, funnel, and scallop tool will allow kids to design pretty much anything they want.
2. Haba Sieve Roller, $17.09, at Moolka. A combo steam roller and sieve whose different shaped holes leave patterns in the sand as you roll.
3. Haba Fries Mold, $8.54, at Fat Brain Toys. You want fries with that? Ketchup not included.
4. Hape Educo Mayan Pyramid Mold, $2.95, at Fat Brain Toys. Build yourself a miniature Chichén Itzá with this temple-shaped mold.
5. Melissa & Doug Sand Cookie Set, $14.78, at Amazon. After you've feasted on your sand fries, you're going to need some dessert.
6. Snow and Sand Castle Kit, $27.23, at Amazon. Use in the deep cold of winter or the dog days of summer to create castles and forts from snow or sand.
7. Learning Resources Numbers and Operations Sand Molds, $10.49, at Yoyo. Keep the academics fresh with these numbers and math symbols molds. (You can also get letters.)