"Many people have a false sense of reassurance that they can quickly recover from a chronic sleep debt with just one or two days of good sleep,” researcher Daniel Cohen, MD, of the division of sleep medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, says in a news release. “However, the lingering effect of chronic sleep loss causes performance to deteriorate dramatically when these individuals stay awake for an extended period of time..."
Researchers found that one long night of sleep can temporarily hide the effects of sleep deprivation and restore performance to normal levels in the short term for about six hours after waking. However, performance may worsen the longer the person is awake, and there is an increased risk of fatigue-related errors the longer the person stays awake.
It's a recurring discussion at Unplggd how technology can both hinder and help your sleeping habits and quality of sleep - whether it's gadgets lighting up the bedroom with a glow of lights, browsing the web in bed, technology can sometimes really interrupt our body's natural needs and tendencies. That doesn't necessarily mean we need to shut tech out of the bedroom, but possibly find constructive ways for tech to help us get better sleep, whether it's monitoring our sleep patterns or finding better or alternative natural methods for alarm clocks - let's figure out how to prevent tech from keeping us awake at night and use it in constructive ways to help us to better sleep.
Better Sleep: Sleep commentary, aids and tech to fight insomnia
- How I Sleep Better Each Night: No Tech in Bed
- Get a Better Night Sleep Using White Noise
- Touch ‘n’ Know Keeps Your Sleeping Peepers Closed
- Improving Your Sleep Is Just One Button Press Away
- Can’t Sleep? Blame Your Gadgets!
- Do Your Gadgets Keep You From Sleep in Total Darkness?
- How Many of Your Browse In Bed Before You Sleep?
- 83 Percent of Millennials Sleep with their Phones
- News: Mobile Use Before Bed Wrecks Your Sleep
- Blogging Wired: Can Software Help You Sleep?
- Fitbit Health and Sleep Monitoring System
- Survey: Do Use Technology to Help You Sleep?
- Zeo: The Personal Sleep Coach
- Tech to Help You Fight Insomnia
- 5 Great Insomnia Beating Apps
- Night Cove Duo Aids Couples to Sleep & Empty Bank Account
- Night Cove: Digital Sleep Aid Increases Your Zzz’s, Decreases Your $$$
- LightSleeper Will Put You To Sleep With Light?
- Tell Us Your Snooze Style (and Learn How to Change It!)
- Do You and Your Honey Battle Over the Alarm?
- As if You Needed Morning Snoozing to be Easier...
- 5 Reasons to Return to Using an Alarm Clock
- 10 Awesome Alarm Clocks
- iPhone 4 Alarm Fail? Take a Look at These Alternatives
- Trouble Sleeping? Improve Your Health with Wakemate
- iPhone Alarm Clocks Knows When You’re Ready to Wake
- Hot Apps: Sleep Cycle and the iPad Craze
- Guari Nanda’s Funky & Colorful Rolling Clocks
- Tyrant Alarm Clock: Get Up or I’ll Call Your Mom
- Alarm Puzzle Clock
Voice Controlled Alarm Clocks
- Wake Up In Style: Unique Alarm Clocks
- The Cheap & Stylishly Transformed Wooden Alarm Clock
- Darth Vader Alarm Clocks: Strong in the Force
- Cathode Ray Tube Clock
- Furni Creations Make Art Kit: Custom Clocks Designed by You
- Eco-Friendly Water-Powered Clock
- Sunrise System Natural Dawn Simulator LED Alarm Review
- Philips goLITE BLUE
- Re(al)view: Philips Wake-Up Light
- Verilux Rise & Shine Natural Sleep System