We asked and you answered! Here is the first group of reader-submitted Homecrafted Halloween costumes in all their glory. Click the thumbnail photo to see the whole costume and click through to find out how the costumes were made and for the link to submit your own!
Owl aka: Aileen (1.5 years old) location: Denver, CO age group: toddler difficulty level: semi-easy
materials: onesie, pilot's cap, wool felt in three colors
description: Some of the credit for this costume goes to the folks at Martha Stewart. I followed their directions for our owl's wings and chest, though I used shades of grey rather than brown. I highly recommend this method of wing making. It's great for any bird costume, and is super easy. For the head, I started with Martha's suggestion to use a pilot's cap, but this is where I departed from her costume tutorial. I sketched an owl's face, and pieced it together over a stiff felt backing that I found at JoAnn's. I then stitched the face to the top of the pilot's cap. We (and our baby owl) were thrilled with how the costume turned out. Sources: wool felt, stiff felt: JoAnn's fabric, pilot's cap: Hanna Andersson
Dorothy aka: Em (17 months) location: Portland, OR age group: toddler difficulty level: semi-easy
materials: blue gingham for the dress, white cotton for the ruffle neckline on the onesie, felt and cotton for the treat bag
description: I had started sewing just a few months prior to Halloween, and really wanted to make my daughter's costume and treat bag rather than get something store-bought. The idea of Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz" came easily - she has plenty of hair for piggies, loves doggies, and loves shoes (especially sparkly ones). I made up the dress pattern myself based on various online images of Dorothy in the movie. Added a little ruffle to the neck of a store-bought long sleeved onesie to add some style (but keep her warm). The treat "basket" is strips of felt woven together and sewn onto a basic mini cotton tote bag - I even added a pocket so a little stuffed Toto dog could ride along inside! She loved her costume and though it's a common one, my daughter was by far the tiniest Dorothy we saw out trick or treating last year!
Robot aka: Benjamin (4) location: Rochester, MN age group: child difficulty level: semi-easy
materials: Plastic Sterilite Bin, Reflectors in various sizes and colors, Two light up green pumpkin necklaces, Printed photos of gauges, Mod Podge, Puffy paint, Spray paint, Dryer vents, Antennae on a headband, Scissors/knife/exacto-knife, Duct tape in silver, Foam padding, Glue gun, Safety pins
description: First I cut out an entire side of the Sterilite bin so my son could fit his legs through one end and then I cut a hole for his head through the other side of the bin. The cutting was difficult, so I used a combination of scissors, knives and and exacto-knife to cut every last bit out. The bin did crack in some places and my cutting left jagged edges, but I covered those up with silver duct tape when I was done cutting. With the cover back on the bin, I spray painted the whole thing in metallic silver and let it dry. I hot glued some foam pieces around the inside of the head opening so that the costume would rest comfortably on my son's shoulders.
My son helped me pick out reflectors from the automotive section of a couple of stores to attach to the front of the costume for the robot control buttons. The reflectors were self-adhesive, so applying them was very easy. I also found light up Halloween pumpkin necklaces, which were basically round battery operated green blinking lights that had a jack-o-lantern face painted on them. I scrubbed the face off of the lights, cut the necklace strings off and attached velcro pieces to both the light and the costume so that we could easily take them off to turn them on and off with the button on the back. These lights were definitely the highlight of the costume for everyone who saw us, especially when we trick-or-treated in the dark. I did an online search for some photos of gauges and Photo-shopped three of them so that they looked like they were glowing in bright colors. I glued them on with Mod Podge and did a coating of the glue over the photo so that they looked plastic. Then I used some metallic silver puff paint to outline the gauges on the bin.
I cut dryer venting (from a home improvement store) in silver to the length of my son's arms and legs and then pinned the venting to the shirt and pants he wore under the costume. I also spray painted an old pair of sneakers silver to match the costume. On the back (lid) of the bin, I wrote "Benjamin 2000" in a robot-y font.
Max of Where the Wild Things Are
aka: Marcus (6 months)
location: New York City
age group: infant
difficulty level: semi-easy
materials: an old snowsuit that a friend passed down to me, foil paper (crown), black cording (whiskers), self fabric from mittens of snowsuit (ears+tail+covered buttons)
description: Kinda simple: just cut out paper crown and taped back. Whiskers: cut desired length and pulled and knotted through fabric. Ears and tail: cut fabric from the mittens that came with the suit. Stuffed w/filling. The last bits of fabric sewed on for covered buttons.