Ever heard the phrase, "if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself?" Well, we certainty have and we think that this phrase can be applied to the humble home office desk. Finding the right desk can be challenging, often the ones that you like are not in the budget or they just plain don't exist. With an eye on thrift and a desire to have exactly the desk that one wants, many go the DIY route. In this post we've brought together ten of our favourite DIY desk options that have varying levels of handiness required.
DIY Desk Options for Large & Small Spaces
- Tom's Standing Desk: This standing desk uses an IKEA Effectiv filing cabinet as a base and a tabletop of solid ash and includes smart cable management options.
- Nicole's Pottery Barn Inspired Desk: To build this desk Nicole used her existing Effektiv desk from IKEA and two wooden filing cabinets she found on Craigslist.
- Jordan's From Scratch Desk: Jordan designed a digital model of the desk with Google Sketchup, including plans for hidden built-in cord concealing channels. He used an old door as the desktop.
- Mini Leaning Laptop Desk: If you need a desk for a very small space, check out the instructions provided by Fresh Home Ideas to build your own leaning laptop desk.
- Peter's IKEA Alternative: Unplggd's own Peter opted for the DIY route when the wooden table top he was looking for at IKEA was out of stock. He added style, support and a hidden power strip.
- Simon's Home Studio Desk: Simon cleverly re-purposed some Ikea products to create a budget-friendly, ideal workstation that met his needs. He used a Vika Amon table top, Vika Curry legs, a Lack wall shelf, and Capita legs.
- Zwild's Birch & Aluminium Desk: Wanting a desk that would be free of any nooks and crannies, Instructables user Zwild decided to build his own.
- Lewis' Small Space Solution: Lewis opted to use a slatted surface for his desk in order to make cable management a snap. Bonus this desk cost less than $30 to make.
- Hivoltage's Concrete Desk: Follow Instructables user Hivoltage's instructions to create your own polished concrete desk.
- Aubrey & Lindsay's Basement Studio Desk: Easily the largest desk in this roundup, it's perfect for a shared workspace.
What are some great DIY desks that you've spotted or made?