10 Green Gifts for the Artist, Crafter, or DIY’er
We certainly love and have a huge amount of respect for people who create with their hands: whether it’s a painting, a hand-knitted scarf, or a bookshelf built from scratch, we’ve got a few items we think our favorite artist, crafter, or DIY’er would appreciate.
1. The Green Guide for Artists: Nontoxic Recipes, Green Art Ideas, & Resources for the Eco-Conscious Artist ($22): this is the one book all green crafters and artists should have. Also right up there are Sewing Green: 25 Projects Made with Repurposed and Organic Materials ($25) and The Best of Instructables: Volume One ($35). These books contain enough ideas, inspirations, and DIY projects to keep your loved one busy for a very long time!
2. Plant-based Colored Pencils from Artemis ($42): Plant-based crayons and colored pencils from Artemis have been colored by natural plant extracts from buckthorn berries, madder root, indigo plant, weld leaves, lac-dye, coreopsis flowers, and catechu acacia – perfect for the budding or the advanced artist in your life.
3. Natural Dyes Seed Collection ($21): Speaking of natural dyes, how about growing your own? The pigments from these flowers can be used to dye wool, silk, and more.
4. Gift Certificate to Mod Green Pod: ($50-$200): Mod Green Pod carries some our favorite sustainable fabrics in rich, playful patterns. All of their fabric is made of 100% certified organic cotton, whitened without bleach and printed in the US with water-based, non-toxic inks that contain no volatile organic compounds. Another option: a gift certificate to Earth Friendly Yarns or Near Sea Naturals for organic and all-natural fabric, yarn, batting, and stuffing.
5. Janome DC2010 Sewing Machine ($499): This was a hot ticket item in our Holiday Giveaway this year, but if you didn’t win it, the idea is still a good one. For anyone serious about crafting and DIY’ing, a sewing machine is essential. If $499 is a bit above your budget, then this Brother sewing machine ($160) is a solid, lower-priced alternative.
6. Multi-Tip Screwdriver from Lie-Nielsen ($60): a screwdriver is the most basic of tools that every DIY-er should have. The handmade tools from Lie-Nielsen are heirloom-quality and will last you forever, and with an interchangeable phillips, square, and slotted heads, the Multi-Tip is a must-have item.
7. Liquid Nails Home Project Repairs Adhesive ($4): a low-VOC general-purpose adhesive designed for small to medium-sized repairs for a wide range of surfaces, including glass, polystyrene, fabric, rubber, carpeting, painted surfaces, and upholstery. It is GreenGuard-certified, contributes to LEED certification and the NAHB National Green Building Standard certification of the structure. A great glue to add to your crafting or DIY tool box!
10. The Printmasters Press ($480): Made in the USA, this manual printing press has a wood-topped hand crank, and spring-loaded adjustable rollers. It’s perfect for relief and intaglio printing, and creates even prints from woodcuts, linoleum and carving blocks.
From Abby: 10 Green Gadget Gifts for the Techie