10 Green Gifts for the Bookworm
We’ve always loved books. But now, because we take public transportation to work, we’re reading a lot more. And books have become an indispensable part of our lives. We love browsing bookstores, and we love getting books as presents. So here are 10 books we either already own and highly recommend, or really wish we owned!
1. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Home Learn how to clean anything (and we mean anything) with non-toxic, household ingredients. A great gift for someone buying their first home or moving into their first apartment.
2. Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn A perfect gift for anyone on your list who is interested in sustainable landscaping. Fritz Haeg has awesome ideas about planting edibles.
3. Bicycle Diaries In this book, David Byrne (yes, David Byrne from Talking Heads) writes about bicycling through the world’s cities. Great for the bike lover on your list.
4. Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It More than one person on our list is getting this. It’s full of beautiful pictures and great instructions for canning and preserving produce at home.
5. Prefab Green More than just beautiful pictures of green prefab houses, Michelle Kaufmann shares the story of how she developed her line of green homes.
6. Toolbox for Sustainable City Living We’re not going to lie—the title grabbed us. Scott Kellogg and Stacy Pettigrew, co-founders of the Rhizome Collective, write about how to live sustainably in the city.
7. Homesteading Perfect for the budding homesteader on your list. Covers chickens, canning, crafting, and even generating your own energy.
8. Lucid Food The subtitle of this book is “Cooking for and Eco-Conscious Life.” It’s got simple recipes for people who are trying to eat sustainably.
9. Made from Scratch A memoir of one woman’s journey from web designer to modern-day homesteader.
10. The Not So Big House: A Blueprint for the Way We Really Live A classic! Anyone interested in small-space, sustainable living will love this book. Contains over 200 color photographs, as well as floorplans.