Look at that small, cute fridge! Julia's Cabin in the Hills from this year's Small Cool 2013 contest illustrates the sort of compromises one has to make when it comes to making a small space work, while retaining some of the luxuries we all want in a home. Savvy city dwellers in real estate tight locales such as New York, LA, and San Francisco are often well-versed in the art of downsizing in style, but those new to the art of living well in sub-500 square foot apartments may need some leads when it comes to compact home appliances...
We've gathered 10 home appliances below either designed specifically for small space living, or equipped as a multi-use replacement for common home appliances. Some, like the air purifier and washing space heater models are rated for sufficient effectiveness in small spaces, while still offering designs which allow them to blend into the rest of the room if left out, ideal when space dictates you can't hide everything away.
Kitchen & Cooking:
1. DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner -$59.99
2. Stainless Steel Danby 3.0 cu.ft. 2 Door Compact Refrigerator - $299.99
3. Breville BOV800XL 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven -$249.99
Air Quality & Heating/Cooling:
4. The Original Handy Cooler Small Fan & Mini-Air Conditioner -$180.00
5. Haier 1.8 Cu. Ft. Ventless Front Load Combo Washer Dryer -$799.00
6. Blueair Sense Air Purifier - $479.00
Washing & Cleaning:
7. Eccotemp FVI12-LP Tankless Water Heater -$269.00
8. Enviromate P7 Pronto Hand Held Steam Cleaner & Steamer - $299.00
(Images: Julia's Cabin in the Hills; as linked above)
Re-edited from a post originally published 10.08.2013 - NT