I recently visited a friend and was immediately struck by their dark walls and what a great, dramatic backdrop they created for the space. While black walls do have the opposite effect on a room than the brightening, space-creating feeling that comes with white, the serious drama they create is often worth the trade.
1. A black wall is the perfect backdrop for architectural details like this white arched doorway in Cate's Cozy San Francisco Nest, via Apartment Therapy
2. Simple furnishings and a graphic poster are elevated by simple but dramatic black walls in this teen's room via Domino.
3. Beautiful blue tile floors and colorful towels pop against a dark background in this bathroom via Made by Girl.
4. Despite the high ceiling and large windows in this room via Abigail Ahern, an office space feels cozy with deep walls and subdued decor.
5. This sunroom via Lonny, gets a unique spin with black paneled walls creating the perfect foil for its abundant natural light and bright furnishings.
6. One way to make black work for you? Decorate as you usually would and just trade out the requisite white walls for a decidedly more moody tone, as in this bedroom via Design Sponge.
7. Keeping the ceilings white is one way to draw the eye up and keep a space from feeling too claustrophobic, and adding in a statement chandelier guarantees maximum drama, as this bedroom via Domaine Home illustrates.
8. Crisp white bedding adds contrast to dark walls in this bedroom via Chez V, while gold accents reflect the light.
9. White furnishings against black walls are a graphic and unexpected twist as seen in this room via SF Girl by Bay.
10. A simple low slung sofa and noticeably absent art let the walls be the star in this living room via Architectural Digest.