10 “Must Have” Supplies for the Home
This week I have been going crazy over my squeaky refrigerator door. I don’t have any WD-40 in the house, so I continue to ignore the sound until it is unbearable. I think it is time to stock up on the necessary supplies for the home.
If you are handy and enjoy DIY projects, you probably have a tool kit. Also, usually everyone has all the cleaning supplies to keep the house tidy. However, sometimes we forget about the little or large household supplies that are still necessities.
- WD-40: A couple cans of WD-40 is a smart investment for all things squeaky. Take it from us, extra noises can really start to get on your nerves and it is best to just fix the problem immediately instead of letting it linger.
- Extra Light Bulbs: We are not sure why light bulbs burn out so quickly, but it is always handy to have extras in the drawer.
- Power Strip: When we are trying to work, we have the desk lamp, computer, and other electronics plugged into a power strip. However, if we need to charge our cell phone, then we have to find another outlet because the power strip is already full. It would be great to have enough outlets for all the electronics.
- Extension Cords: We don’t use extension cords that often, but when we do need one we don’t want to make a trip to the store just to purchase an extension cord. As we all know, sometimes outlets are not located in the most convenient places.
- Space Heater: Even if you live in a warmer climate, space heaters are great for the few cold days or nights. It also helps to save money on the electric bill by only heating the room you are in instead of the whole house.
- Duct Tape: Wrapping a leaking pipe with duct tape is a quick fix until a plumber can fix the problem.
- Flashlight: A flashlight should be in an emergency kit or at hand when the electricity goes out.
- Batteries: Many home electronics depend on batteries. Instead of purchasing a new pack of batteries every so often, purchasing a battery charger and rechargeable batteries saves money.
- Disposable Gloves: Gloves are handy around the home when cleaning with harsh chemicals or any other messy jobs.
- Step Ladder: Our step ladder gets used quite frequently because, well, height is not our friend.
What are your “must have” items for your home?
For a list of other household basics, see Setting Up Home: DIY Tool Basics.
Image: Flickr member Adrian Nier via Creative Commons