Wooden cable reel, drum, or spool tables come dangerously close to wagon wheel coffee tables, and that can be a problem. Not a real problem mind you, but a decidedly first-world design blog kind of problem. Because some people find them charming and some people find them less charming. I'm here to try to push you into the "yes" column by sharing some examples where these humble materials become something interesting.
1. Above, two small spools on casters make for coffee tables in this living room from Hus & Hem.
2. Amalie and Ole Johnny's kitchen is complete with this relaxed table for the family, surrounded my a hodge podge of chairs.
3. This hallway mirror, seen on Lindevegen, was created from the top on one such wooden spool.
4. This DIY project appeared in Grace Bonney’s Design*Sponge at Home, via Country Living,
5. If you can't bring yourself to bring one inside the house, they make for great outdoor and/or activity tables. Dress one up with a simple geometric paint job, like this one from Piipadoo.
6. From VT Wonen comes this tutorial for making a huge industrial style clock from one side of one wooden reel.
7. Courtney from Little Glass Box used a smaller spool, wrapped in a bathroom rug, and used as a side table. I love that it looks like a gigantic spool of thread. As seen on Little Green Notebook.
Have I convinced you yet?