We all know a few well-placed flowers can provide an instant fix to a dull space. A fresh bouquet lights up a room and fills the air with a sweet aroma. But, the joy is always temporary, and eventually the flowers wither and die. Here are some easy tips for keeping those beautiful buds alive.
The most simple, yet least followed, tip to keep your flowers alive: Change the water!
• Add a small mixture of aspirin and sugar to the water, along with some type of antibacterial agent like vodka, vinegar or even a little bleach. Just a ¼ of a teaspoon is all you need.
• Drop a copper penny in the vase.
• Cut the stems at a 45° angle with sharp scissors every day.
• Hold the stems underwater while you cut them.
• Remove any leaves that are submerged under the water.
• Cull any dying flowers as soon as possible.
• Keep the flowers away from any drafts (even fans!) and out of direct sunlight.
• Keep flowers away from fruit and other plants. Other flora can give off the gas, ethylene, which can cause flowers to wilt prematurely.
• Keep flowers away from appliances, like televisions and computers, which give off heat and can cause flowers to dehydrate.
• Clean your vase before you put flowers in it. Make sure you rinse out all of the soap!