Feeling in a bit of a rut today? You don't have to be a prisoner to your moods. Even if you're stressed out and crazy busy, just 10 minutes could be all you need to turn your mood and your entire day around.
- Open the blinds. Getting some sunlight will amp up your production of the mood-regulating neurotransmitter serotonin.
- Get moving. Do jumping jacks, run in place, whatever won't disturb your downstairs neighbors. Any kind of aerobic activity will improve your mood.
- Buy some flowers. Besides giving your decor a bit of a boost, flowers are likely to make sure you start off on the right foot, mood-wise. A study found that participants were happier and more energetic after looking at flowers first thing in the morning.
- Cuddle a pet. It's impossible to be in a bad mood when you've got a little furry someone to snuggle with.
- Turn on a happy song. Most people find that listening to a happy tune is a good way to get in a happy mood.
- Laugh. A lot. Find something funny–a podcast, a TV special, a stand-up comedy album on Spotify–and let your laughter lift you up.
- Channel a color. It's no secret that color has a big effect on our mood. If you're looking for enthusiasm and creativity, surround yourself with orange. Green will leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed, and blue is similarly calming. Step into a room that channels one of those colors, or put on some clothes in a certain shade to try and change your mood.
- Get a good whiff. Orange and lavender scents have been proven to reduce anxiety and improve mood. Light a candle or fetch some essential oils.
- Find a quiet place. Take 10 minutes away from the world and find a quiet spot to relax. You can create your own sanctuary in any room in the house.
- Dress up. The way you look has a lot to do with your mood. Put on something you feel great in, and let those good vibes wash over you.
What are your best ways to snap out of a bad mood?