After a few years of failed attempts I have vowed that I will never try to grow anything on our fire escape, but I can feel my urge to plant something creeping in as I see beautiful pots and gardening gear making their appearances in stores. I love the idea of growing your own food, particularly in the city where you have to be a little more creative with it. Hopefully one day I will be able to find my green thumb and have a successful harvest. For those of you who have not been banned from container gardening here are some products that will make your balcony or fire escape a little more lovely.
While you can easily pick up cheap, basic pots at a nursery or hardware store, it is nice to add a colorful planter or two in the mix to keep it interesting. I may just have to pick up a basil plant or two so I can use one of these pretty pots.
1. Chalkboard Herb Stakes from At West End, $39 for a set of 6
2. Partridge Vase from Home Depot, $5.98
3. Modern Spun Aluminum Hanging Planters from Sprout Home, $78
4. Smith & Hawken Round Copper Planter from Target, $19.99
5. Colored Ceramic Saucers from Home Depot, $2.37
6. Elephant Watering Can from Ace Hardware, $4.49
7. Terracotta Teacup & Saucer from At West End, $49 for a set of 4
8. Botanical Series Write-Erase Plant Tags from Sprout Home, $17 for a set of 6
9. Socker Watering Can from IKEA, $4.99
10. Bjuron Plant Pot from IKEA, $5.99
11. Socker Plant Pot from IKEA, $.79
12. Beta Planter with Saucer from Crate & Barrel, $17.95