Talk about giving new life to an old thing— how about growing a new life in an old thing! With spring in full bloom, my planting instinct at its peak, and my wallet that's just about as empty as empty can be, these DIYable garden solutions are calling my name.
• Hanging shoe-organizer herb garden from Instructables. We've seen a thousand clever re-uses for the over the door show organizer, but I think this vertical garden might just take the cake.
• If crocs have a chance at attractive, this is it. The creative folks at Real Simple placed moss in the toe of the shoe, filled it with soil, and used the holes as drainage.
• ReadyMade featured this planter was made from a thrifted colander and an old wire hanger. I think that the concept would look especially brilliant in a grouping of 3.
• There seems to be limitless uses for Ikea's ASKER container. Ikea hacker Marc used his as an outdoor vertical succulent garden which also helps distract from his neighbor's eyesore fence.
• The elementary school favorite! I remember making one of these for mother's day in 3rd grade, but the tin can concept is looking pretty sweet once again. For instructions visit Thrifty Fun's website.