Make the most of April's showers and stay inside to prepare for warmer weather. Once it arrives, you'll want to be as care-free as possible. Tackling these 5 chores now will help you relax once it's time to sit in the sun.
- Clean Out Your Food Storage: Take some time to peek through your food storage and clean out what's expired or seasonal. If you never made that pumpkin pie last year, will you really do so now? If not, maybe use that canned pumpkin for something else, instead of waiting until November when it surely will be outdated.
- Clean Under Your Bed: Wether you live in a small studio or in a single-family home, take a moment to determine what's under your bed and if you really want it there. If you've only got dust, grab a Swiffer and tackle it. If you store stuff under your bed because of space limitations, then think about what you really need and let go of the rest.
- Seasonal Décor: Right now the 2011 holiday season seems so far off, but once summer rolls around and schedules are busier than ever, the months will pass so easily and it will be that time of year again. Take a moment now to determine what décor you have and what you want to keep. Pare back and donate to organizations that can benefit this year. Perhaps you find an organization that makes most of their money in the fall from selling used holiday décor? Now that will give you peace of mind.
- Stressful To-Do: Bills, an assignment, a half-finished home project...what is it? What's hanging over your head? Take the last few days of April showers to get whatever it is done: Finish painting that room, pay that bill or make a plan of how to pay it, finish that assignment, or pare back your stuff. Once you do, it might be possible to carelessly sit in the sun, at least for an hour or so.
- Surfaces: Our floors and walls take a beating in the winter, especially for those of us living where snow and ice dominate for half of the year. It's likely your entryways have a layer of salt and your walls have been dirtied by snow shovels and holiday parties. Wash your floors and baseboards, wipe down your walls and clean in those spaces you usually ignore. Pick-up a Magic Eraser and start scrubbing!
(Images: Landis Carey)
Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.