It's high citrus season and oranges, grapefruits, lemons, and tangerines are brightening our homes as well as our diets. We've shared edible uses for leftover peels and dried peels, but the uses don't stop there! Before you toss those peels into the compost, check out these household ideas and share your own…
• Freshen the air. Fill a small pan with water and citrus peels and simmer over low heat. Add a cinnamon stick or a few cloves for a richer fragrance.
• Freshen your clothes. Place dried orange and lemon peels in a cheesecloth bag and hang in the closet or tuck into a drawer.
• Exfoliate your skin. Dried citrus peels are ground with lentils and semolina in this sounds-good-enough-to-eat Homemade Orange Peel Scrub from Padma's Kitchen.
• Protect your plants. Orange peels can deter cats from chewing on your plants or using them as a litter box. Rub peels over the leaves or scatter them around the soil.
• Make household cleaner. We found this easy recipe for Homemade Citrus Vinegar Cleaner on Tipnut and instantly mixed up a jar. It takes a few weeks to brew, so we'll report back when it's ready!
Do you have any more ideas to add?
Related: 27 Household Uses For Citrus Fruit