I know, I know, moving your furniture around in a space a few times a year sounds like an enormous amount of work but it's worth it. After the jump find 5 reasons that moving your furniture can help you live more simply and efficiently.
1. Save your flooring. By moving your furniture around periodically it saves your flooring from wear and traffic patterns therefore extending its life.
2. Take advantage of changing light conditions. As the light changes from summer to winter the way your room performs changes as well. You may prefer to block a bit of bright sunlight from the TV screen with the low winter light, and will want to take advantage of long summer days other times.
3. Maximize solar performance. Think of your sofa as a giant solar heat collector and push it closer to the sunny winter window perfect for curling up on cold winter days in the warm sun, while in the summer you may want to move it further away to avoid having to turn the AC on.
4. It's so much easier to clean. Moving your furniture around gives you the best chance to clean under and around things. Get those hard to reach corners and under the sofa where the dog stores all of his toys. Use this as an opportunity to do a really good deep clean a few times a year.
5. Change is good. Moving your furniture around gives it new life and helps you appreciate it in a way that you hadn't previously.
(Image: Deborah Fallows)