Hosting a party anytime soon? It can be a challenge figuring out the best way to set up your home for entertaining, particularly if you live in an apartment without a dining room, but don't worry — even in a small space, you've got several options...
- 1) Set your coffee table with appetizers, and surround it with chairs, stools or floor cushions for guests. Use another available surface (like a kitchen cart or entryway table) for the bar.
- 2) To set up a buffet and bar, use a sofa table, console, or credenza. This arrangement is ideal for cocktail parties, where guests can wander around the room and circle back to the bar.
- 3) Move your dinner party outdoors. Use an outdoor dining table or, if you're winging it, top a few sawhorses with a sheet of wood and lay down a tablecloth. For seating, you can bring your indoor chairs outside or invest in a set of folding chairs.
- 4) So you want to host an outdoor party, but you don't have a backyard or deck? Move your party to the roof, the sidewalk, or the walkway of your apartment building.
- 5) If your apartment is organized for everyday entertaining from the get-go, you won't have to think too much about how to set up a party. You can use your kitchen or dining room table to host dinners, and your living room for conversation and cocktails.
- No Dining Room? No Problem
- 10 Ways to Be a Great Host in a Tiny Apartment
- Party Architecture: Density, Structure, Lighting, Flow
Photos: Sarah Coffey (1), Beth Zeigler and Marissa Zajack (2-3), Jordan Ferney (4), Sarah Kate Gillingham Ryan (5)