That's right folks, these are for you- not your little ones. You've been working hard to plan fun summers for your kids- creating summer lists, going berry picking, and braving the playgrounds on hot days. You deserve a little summer too! Think aromatherapy shower tablets, cold-brewed iced coffee, and no-cook dinners:
We took some inspiration from this list over at our Chicago site, but adapted our ideas to a parent's often long, summer days.
• Aromatherapy Shower Tablets: You may not have time for a bath, but throw one of these in the shower for a little extra kick.
• Get Your Morning Buzz from Cold-Brewed Iced Coffee that'll be ready when you wake up. (especially if it's a 5 am wake-up- you'll need it)
• Turn off the oven, give yourself a break, and enjoy a whole bunch of no-cook dinners. You can find some great, kid-friendly ideas here and here. A really simple idea is just to lay out a tray and fill it with all sorts of goodies and leftovers: chopped hot dogs, cubed cheese or turkey, hummus and pita, grapes or berries, etc. You get the idea.
• This one's not so much what to do, but what not to do. Take a break from your many extra projects and even your more serious reading. Trade in a parenting book for something more frivolous, and spend less time at your computer.
• Finally- what to do with that spare time? Think about the time you spend with your child or children that is most gratifying. If it's reading stories before bed, read a few books in the morning as well. If it's time spent outside, take an extra walk or take an ice cream outside after dinner. Keep it simple. It need not be "facebook status" or "blog photo" worthy- it's just for you.
(Image: Simple Bites).