When cleaning your home, you're sure to tackle the major offenders like cleaning the toilet or scrubbing down your kitchen sink. But what about those forgotten hiding spots for germs that lurk on our tech devices and frequently used appliances? Make sure you add these 5 spots to your chore list to ensure you're house is in tip-top shape!
1. Around The Washing Machine Lid: Although your washing machine is in charge of cleaning all the gunk and grime off your clothes, the lip just inside the unit sees a ridiculous amount of dirt. Try using a Magic Eraser or even damp microfiber cloth to pick up all the gunk and goo that gets left behind when you empty out your pockets and toss stuff in the wash!
2. Handles, Levers, Switches & Buttons: When it comes time to clean down small appliances, what we're usually most concerned with are the parts that come in contact with food. For instance, you clean the glass or plastic container for your blender, but when was the last time you wiped down the buttons or the base of the unit? You toss the bowl to your Cuisinart Food Processor in the dishwasher, but when was the last time you wiped down the on and off switches? You use your KitchenAid mixer and rinse the bowl and beaters, but what about the lever that takes the bowl up and down, or tilts the head back? You get the idea, now get to cleaning!
3. Your Monitor On/Off Switch: Many folks still turn their monitors on and off by the push of a button. It's one of the first things we touch when we sit down at our desks, but how many times have you been finishing off that bag of Cheetos while you wait for your computer to boot? How many times were you snacking on a cookie or french fry? Give your monitor a favor and wipe down more than just it's screen!
4. Cell Phone Camera Lens: Your phone takes a ridiculous amount of abuse. Not because you drop it frequently, but because each time it gets shoved back into your pocket or purse, it's picking up more lint and dust. Try using a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the lens without getting your interal bits wet. You'll be amazed at the quality of photos you'll be taking again.
5. Game Controllers: It's easy to remember to dust off the TV and even the DVD Player and Roku box, but when was the last time you wiped down your controllers? If you can't remember when, stop what you're doing and head straight home to do so. A Magic Eraser does wonders as does a cotton swab with alcohol to help clean around the buttons. They take a great amount of abuse, so give them a little bath in return — you can then return to your first person zombie shooting as regularly scheduled.
Do you have a spot that continually seems to catch more dirt than it seems like it should? One of those spots that once you clean it there's always an audible, "Ew!" Let us know below to make sure we're all spic and span and germ free!