Some of our most relaxed travel experiences have included a stay at a bed and breakfast. There's something so much nicer about staying in a house over a hotel. While the bed and breakfast is modeled after the home, here are some tips we can take back from the ol' B & B for use at home:
- Get out and enjoy your locale. Walk to nearby shops and services as if you're exploring your neighborhood for the first time all over again.
- Eat local. Prepare dishes at home that take advantage of all of the local foods your hometown has to offer.
- Slow it down sometimes. Take time for an afternoon tea or evening cocktails every so often. Invite the neighbors over to mingle.
- Stock your bookshelves with plenty of information about the history and current events of your surrounding area. This way, if you find yourself with a free weekend, you'll be surrounded by plenty of inspiration for planning an impromptu day trip.
- Make it nice. Use your best bedding on your bed - not just for overnight guests. Set the table with your good dishes often, and don't forget flowers!
Do you have any particularly great little details you remember from a favorite escape to a bed and breakfast? Please share in the comments below.