When the kids are out of school for the summer and bouncing off the walls, we love to head to the park for a breath of fresh air. But what should you take with you when they're too old to contentedly dig in the sandbox for hours on end? Here are some ideas to crank up the fun:
• Adidas World Cup 2010 Jabulani Club Soccer Ball ($39.99). Adidas makes the Official Match Ball for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and this commemorative ball is imprinted with the word "jabulani" which means to celebrate in Zulu. Diehard fans can buy an official match ball for $150 or a vuvuzela, which will make you super popular with the other park parents, for $8.
• These awesome Prism EO8 Box Kites ($26 - 52 depending on style and size) are designed to lie flat for storage, then pop open for flight! According to the manufacturers website, they are durable, come fully assembled, and are easy enough for beginners to fly in low winds. And look at the colors!
• DIY Paratrooper Toy. When we first saw this, we wanted to make little parachutes for every action figure in the house. And then throw them off the jungle gym! See the complete and totally cool tutorial at Chez Beeper Bebe.
• Kettler Aero Air Tire Kettcar. This cool ride from Kettler will get your child to, from, and around and around the park. Now if they'd only make them in adult sizes... Available on sale at My Toy Box for $219.
• Homemade sidewalk chalk. Let your kids find their inner graffiti artist with these chunky DIY chalks made in toilet paper tubes! Even after you head home, their artwork will live on for future park goers to enjoy. Check out the full tutorial at Mad Maggie Designs.
- Written by Katie Steuernagle
(Images: 1. World Soccer Shop 2. REI 3. Chez Beeper Bebe 4. My Toy Box 5. Mad Maggie Designs)