Google Maps have been our go-to destination for directions for some time now. We love how easy it is to plan routes be they via car, public transit, bike, or walking and its truly an invaluable resource. Being the kind of folks who always love to learn about new things, we've gathered up these 5 ways that you can use Google Maps that go beyond obtaining directions.
5 Ways to Use Google Maps Beyond Directions
- Check Out Baby Names: As Odeeoh discovered, Google Maps is very useful for obtaining the most popular baby names in a particular area via the Baby Name Map overlay built by Guy Davis.
- Peruse Historical Photos: What would happen if you combined historical photos with Google Maps? Why Historypin of course! Historypin is a project created by We Are What We Do in partnership with Google and is available worldwide. The site works as a digital time machine, allowing people to view and share their historic pictures online.
- Find a new Home: Whether using Kinizi which is the mashup of Craigslist + Google Maps to find your new apartment or simply using Street View to check out potential neighborhoods, Google Maps is a great tool to use in the hunt for a new home.
- Track Fires: We love seeing how Google Maps is used as a tool to locate and report environmental crimes in Italy and increase fire awareness in California.
- Get the Weather: To add the weather layer in Google Maps simply hover over the widget in the upper right corner and select the weather layer from the list of options. Voila, you now have weather data pinpointed to the various locations you are looking at on the map!
What are some ways you use Google Maps beyond directions?