7 Ideas to Steal from the Boston Magazine Design Home
A couple weeks ago, I got to preview the beautiful Boston Magazine Design Home 2014 in Salisbury, Ma. While I was inspired by many of the rooms and green features of this net zero energy home, these were the seven décor ideas I wanted to steal for my own space:
Note: While its eco-friendliness is a huge draw, I’m going to focus on purely decorating tips. To find out more about its energy efficient features, visit the Design Home website.
Follow Topics for more like this
Follow for more stories like this
Here are my seven decorating ideas to steal:
1. Bar cart as nightstand. Could you use some bedside storage with a fun twist? Wheel a bar cart into the boudoir. Every day may just feel like a fabulous vacation, mimosas optional.
2. Paint built-ins a complementary color. Don’t you just love how that purple pumps up the buttery yellow? It really showcases the pieces you choose to display, and creates an instant focal point for the cost of some paint.
3. Create a space to stash your pet’s stuff. Your furry pal probably follows you around the house, so it’s good to have a place for them to relax in each room. By sliding a pet bed into this nook in the dining room, they can be close (and you won’t trip over it!).
4. Layer rugs on rugs on carpet. Carpet in the attic loft area helps keep the heat away from the rest of the house. But the designer didn’t stop there with the floor coverings— she layered rugs upon rugs to up the cozy factor and really punch up the style. I wanted to roll around in this corner all day, even though it was ninety degrees outside.
→ Trend Watch: Layered Rugs
5. Don’t let a short wall go to waste. So the sloping attic ceiling doesn’t leave much room to hang art. No matter! Lean some mirrors and artwork to expand the space and add some personality.
6. Hang a pendant over the coffee table. This unexpected light fixture adds drama, intrigue, and much needed light to a conversation space. Just make sure to hang well above the height of a seated adult, and pair with a proportionally-sized coffee table, so that no one attempts to walk under and hit their head.
7. Turn an floor mirror and a desk into a vanity. My favorite element in the home, this DIY vanity is a perfect modern twist for a romantic master bedroom.
The Boston Magazine Design Home is open through October 5.