Not only is the church that Aleks and Anne call home a historical landmark, it was actually the first church in Santa Monica. It is hard to believe that it only took two weeks and $684 to construct the building. It has gone through many transformations over the years - relocation, bell tower added, social hall added, enlarged, reused as a secular meeting hall, and was eventually bought by artist Helen Sheats who claimed it for her residence.
Aleks and Anne planned the move from their multi-level home with a great view of the ocean due to the lack of an open floor plan - they were searching for something more suitable for their lifestyle. By the time they found and purchased the church in 2003, it needed a few updates to restore its architectural character and best utilize the space to fit their needs for both a private and work space. They fell in love with the history behind the converted church and were dedicated to restoring its original character.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Contemporary intervention into a historic house
Inspiration: A place with history and soul in which to live and work
Favorite Elements: The character of an old church, a large open space that we could shape freely, an urban garden in the rear yard
Biggest Challenge: Balancing public and private spaces without loosing the openness
What Friends Say: It is so very warm and cozy
Biggest Embarrassment: Hard to keep the dust balls out of sight
Proudest DIY: All of it
Biggest Indulgence: The mahogany counter and teak rails, the 8 Liquidambar Rotunda Lona trees which could grow to a height of 80 feet
Best Advice: Nobody gave us any advice - we probably would not have listened anyway
Resources of Note:
- Viking Fridge and Range
- Miele Dishwasher
- John Grant and John Hanger did all the built-ins
- Wertz Brothers Furntiure
- Swap Meets
- Liz's Antique Hardware for historic hardware
- Existing Douglas Fir
- Naylor's Paint in Venice
RUGS & CARPET
- Random Oriental in family
TILES AND STONE
- Classic Tile on Wilshire and Santa Monica
- None, except for Venetian Lace from Burano
Anne Troutman, Jasper Johns, Chuck Arnoldi, Laddy John Dill, Astrid Preston, William Teresa, and Ali Acerol
Thanks Aleks & Anne!
Images: Evan Koester
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.